Sunday, October 20, 2013

Poland

I had decided before leaving Malmö that I would stop in Poland, Lithuania, and Latvia.  I hadn't decided yet where I would stay, or even which cities to visit.  After inquiring at the Stuttgart train station I decided that the night train to Warsaw sounded good.  Taking the night train would allow me to save one nights hostel plus it would get me out of Munich (which is very expensive to stay in during Oktoberfest).  The night train had a short stopover in Vienna but I had already decided to save Austria for later when I could visit some friends and see the country properly.

I managed to book my hostel while on the train (it had wifi while it was in Austria).  I booked here: New World Hostel this turned out to be a great hostel in a really good location.  I definitely recommend it, if only for their policy that guests shouldn't bother to wash dishes but instead just leave them in the sink for the staff!

I decided to start my trip in Warsaw with a free walking tour: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g274856-d4025523-Reviews-Orange_Umbrella_Free_Tour-Warsaw_Mazovia_Province_Central_Poland.html

The walking tour was great and as a result I made some new friends to go for lunch and drinks with.  I was also shocked to find out that there are apparently perogies that are made with blueberries... didn't expect that when I ordered perogies for lunch!  This was also the first time I've gone on a walking tour that ended at a bar with a snack and a free vodka shot!

The Warsaw rising museum was also great.  Also the cheap drinks and food were amazing!  I was also shocked to find out that my buddy was living in Warsaw working at the hospital.  It was great to catch up after about 6 years and have a few beers!

A few pictures:

Stalin's Birthday Cake (None that there are 2 of them, one is a gift from Stalin, and one is a gift for Stalin)

A really cool mural dedicated to Marie Curie 

The old town wall

I saw this cool little car, so I took a picture.  Lucky there was also a nice building behind it.

One of many cheap beers!

Next stop Vilnius!

No comments:

Post a Comment