Thursday, February 27, 2014

Slovakia

In between being in Vienna, and going to Saltzburg I spent a bit of time in Bratislava, Slovakia.  Its a great city that has some amazing views, and what is currently my favorite pub in Europe!

Compared with all of the views of Bratislava, I had from various movies (Hostel, Eurotrip) I was quite happy to see its a little different. 

Screenshot from Eurotrip in Bratislava

Actual Bratislava

I really enjoyed my brief time in Bratislava, there is a fantastic free walking tour that takes you around town and they have a nice castle (Rebuild completed in 2005).  They also have the most fantastic blue church I have ever seen (It looks like a fairytale).  

In my favorite bar, I thought I would try all 3 of the local dishes in one go.  I asked for the mixed plate, and the waiter looked at me a little bit funny before asking: "Are you sure you want that".  I assured him I did (it was a little expensive at almost 10euro), and he agreed to bring it.  About 10 min later I found out why he had asked.  The plate was actually 3 full size plates carved into a wooden plater containing Bryndzove Halusky (potatoes with sheep's cheese), Bryndzove Pirohy (Perogies), and Strapacky (Cabbage also known as Cabbage Halusky).  All three were delicious but I don't think I even managed to eat half as they are all very heavy!  

Some more pictures:
My huge plate of food.

The old national theatre building.

Cumil the "Typical Slovak Worker" (According to my tour guide not me!)  More Info

The amazing blue church! ... Just like a fairytale!

No comments:

Post a Comment