Sunday, March 9, 2014

Serbia

My trip to Serbia started on new years day in Zagreb, after making my way to the train station I was very upset to find that nothing was open because it was new years day.  I managed to find a bottle of water and hopped on the train for the trip to Belgrade.  About 10 hours later I arrived in Belgrade.

Belgrade is a really interesting city, as you come into the city by train it doesn't look like any other Eastern European city I've seen.  You are surrounded by glass skyscrapers with neon signs.  This is because you actually start by coming into New Belgrade, but soon the train comes into the rest of Belgrade and its much more similar to other Eastern European cities.

After I had wandered to my hostel.  I was quite happy to find out, when I checked in, that they had free alcohol!  After checking in I went for a wander and located first some food, and second a bar with a beerpong table and cheap beer!  It was a really fun night with some new friends from Slovenia, and their homemade wine.

Then the next morning, I went to wander around the town for the day and enjoyed some local foods.  In Belgrade there is a really awesome castle at the spot where the Danube River meets the Sava River.  There is a peace memorial (consisting of a naked dude on a pole holding a pigeon and a sword), as well as lovely views of the rivers.  Along the rivers are many boats each with a bar onboard (Great spring destination!).

That night I met up with a girl from Couchsurfing who took me out and showed me an awesome restaurant with live music, then showed me around new Belgrade.  We went along the water and saw a really cool old church on the top of the hill.  We also went and explored some of the other areas of New Belgrade.

After a walking tour around town the next day I booked my night ticket and headed for Sofia!

Free Rakia!

New Friends from Slovenia

 The Old Army Headquarters (Slightly Bombed by NATO)

The Peace Monument (Naked Guy, Pidgin, Sword)

Cathedral of Saint Sava (Largest Orthodox Church in the World)

Castle Entrance

Another Entrance to the Castle

The Government Building

View from the top of the hill in New Belgrade

A really nice church in New Belgrade

No comments:

Post a Comment