Monday, May 12, 2014

Luxembourg

I had planned to meet up Brussels with my friends Anh and Travis in before they went back to Canada.  Due to some poor planning on my part, I ended up with nowhere to stay in Brussels for a night.  I decided that the solution to this problem would be to go to Luxembourg and stay there for a night. (plus I could check off another country!)

The train goes from Brussels to Luxembourg every hour, so it is rather convenient.  There is only one hostel in Luxembourg, so it wasn't too hard to decide where to stay.   The hostel is a really big HI hostel and is in a great location, although the common area is perhaps not the best for meeting people.  The walk to the hostel took about 25 min from the train station, and is a lovely walk that winds along the bottom of the castle walls and the edge of the cliffs.  The views are really breathtaking, with a small river and a beautiful church as well.

After checking in at the hostel I went for a wander around the lower part of town.  The castle walls and the cliffs are really amazing, and offer a great vantage point to take pictures of the lower town.  After my wander I met two french girls, played a bit of pool, then we went out for dinner and some drinks.  We started out in search of some traditional food but eventually gave up and ate some "traditional" Luxembourgian Chinese food.  Unfortunately since it was May 1 most places seemed closed.  After dinner we ended in a really nice bar with live music called the liquid cafe.

The next morning at breakfast I met a Slovenian girl, and we spent the morning wandering and taking some pictures of the upper part of the town.  Luxembourg is really clean, and it's quite obvious that there is a lot of money spent on the city as all of the buildings are quite beautiful and expensive looking, despite it being a tiny little town.

After a final coffee, I wrote this while sitting on the train back Brussels!

Some pictures:(First ones with the new camera!)

 The Aqueduct next to my hostel (re purposed into a road)

 The view of the walls and the church.

 The Church and the little river.

The river with the footbridge and the castle walls.

 The amazing view from the castle walls.

 Proof I was in Luxembourg!

 Grand Dukes Palace (Guarded by day only)

The Flag!

No comments:

Post a Comment